I have produced four films documenting my ethnographic research since 1994 on socially marginalized women musicians in North India. They are:
“Disrupted Divas: Conflicting Pathways (Ms. Mars, Ed., co-prod., 51:00) – 2010. (Winner of MADA [Making A Difference Award], Best DocumentaryToronto/Malvern COMMFEST). Trailer: https://youtu.be/0CiGtCS_fY4
- “Chandni’s Choice (Ms. Mars, Ed., co-prod., 10:00) – 2007. (Juried screenings at Asia-Texas [Austin] and Indo-American Arts Council [New York City] Film Festivals, 2007; Yellow Frames [ Delhi] Film Festival, 2009). View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFglp8_RbiU
- “Guria, Gossip, Globalization” (Ms. Mars, Ed.; 51:00) – 2004. (Special Jury Award, Dallas South Asian Film Festival, 2004; invited screenings include Columbia, Pittsburgh, Carnegie-Mellon, Princeton Universities, U of Arizona, Arizona State U, MIT, and Wheaton College, Austin Asian Film Festival (2004); India Habitat Centre, Delhi, Center for Social Science Studies, Calcutta (2005) . Short description at: http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/8788253
- “Our Stories, Our Songs: North Indian Women’s Musical Autobiographies” (Ms. Mars, Ed.; 45:00) – 2000. (Featured in International Women’s Day 2000 Media Festival, Austin, TX, Community Access Channel). Screened at above universities and venues, and University of Alberta.Short description at: http://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/8788253
- handni Kumari’s and Aruna Devi’s Pilot Recording Project” – Muzaffarpur, Bihar, 2011 (rough cut). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6cKbVl3k-M
Film related music projects.
I have also composed and performed music for the following films:
- One Peace at a Time – Nobelity.org, prod., dir. – 2009, Austintrack for documentary on grassroots international development movements
- Naan Wayne & Masala SXSW Trailers – Cenozoic Studios, prod., dir. – 2002-3, Austinsoundtracks for a series of juried film festival trailers
- The Unknown – Todd Browning, dir. (1924) – 1999.Commissioned score co-composed by The Gypsies ensemble, performed live at Alamo Drafthouse Theater, Austin.